Monday 21 April 2014

BMO Field Expansion


Earlier I was unimpressed with the MLSE wanting to expand BMO to accommodate a CFL team but with the latest news I think I’m leaning towards the expansion, but just a little. I mentioned a few months ago that an expansion to the BMO field would take away the intimate experience you get watching a TFC game, sure in the eyes of MSLE making the 22,000 seat arena into a 30,000 – 40,000 means lots of $$$$ but it will also mean we will lose our natural turf (real grass) field which was put in when TFC played Real Madrid.

I am happy to hear that the MLSE is pumping in $90 million of the $120 million it is going to take for this revamp, sure I still think that the seating size was fine considering where the stadium is located but with the upcoming Pan Am games the added seats make sense. Timing couldn’t be better for this, Pam Am games, Argos looking for a new home and with 95% of the season seats sold the extra added means I can actually go to a game without spending 100’s. Seriously, scalpers … you were selling a $25 ticket for $250, ridiculous.



My main issue with the expansion was what will happen to the grass, hosting both TFC and Argos on an open concept stadium would be bad for the pitch, awhile back I saw a video (below) on what Wembley Stadium in England did where they planted synthetic grass combined real grass to strengthen the playing field. Hopefully BMO does the same thing or at least something better with the $120 million budget.


No comments:

Post a Comment